Subject: Perl 5.005: Maintenance update 02 is available
From: Gurusamy Sarathy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:37:43 -0400 (EDT)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.moderated,comp.lang.perl.announce,comp.lang.perl.misc

The second maintenance update for Perl 5.005 was released on August
8, 1998, and is now available from the Comprehensive Perl Network
Archive (CPAN) sites worldwide.  To select from a list of sites, go to:

    http://www.perl.com/CPAN

Note the absence of a trailing `/'.  The actual file can be found at:

    http://www.perl.com/CPAN/authors/id/GSAR/perl5.005_02.tar.gz

For a brief overview of what is new in the 5.005 series and other
important information about reporting problems, see the release
announcement for 5.005:

    http://www.perl.com/CPAN/authors/id/GSAR/perl5.005.announce

More detailed information on changes can be found in "pod/perldelta.pod"
and "Changes" files in the distribution.

WARNING:  Perl 5.005 and later are NOT BINARY COMPATIBILE with releases
prior to 5.005.  You will need to recompile all extensions that require
a C compiler to build (i.e. those that contain XSUBs).  See the
"INSTALL" document for detailed instructions on how to cope.

If you like the spirit in which Perl is made, help cultivate that spirit.
Reveal the sources!  Set knowledge free!

--The Perl Porters

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUMMARY OF FIXES IN MAINTENANCE UPDATE 2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

   + fixed auto-vivification of function parameters (broken since 5.004_74)

   + foreach optimization is less aggressive when the iteration variable
     gets afflicted by magic

   + s/\s*$//g used to read uninitialized memory, sometimes causing
     core dumps with majordomo

   + several win32 fixes: restore binary compatibility with 5.005 for
     PERL_OBJECT builds, improvements to crypt()ic win32 notes, CPAN.pm
     should work better on Win32 (wasn't recognizing exe files before)

   + Open Edition MVS is now a supported platform, EBCDIC support much
     better now

   + C<use overload> bug fixes

   + fix for command-line use of source filters

   + allowed *foo{ARRAY}[0] sugar (i.e. optional intervening arrow)

   + implicit close performed by local(*FH) doesn't affect exit status anymore

   + egcs should work better with Solaris (used to get confused about 'ld')

   + VMS build problems due to typos fixed

   + OS2 improvements: updated README.os2, test suite fixes

   + Machten 4.1.1 support

   + more documentation (perlport much updated, perlfaq* updated)

   + unpack/pack('u',...) bugs fixed

   + newer cperl-mode.el

   + many other little details (see Changes file for list)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
TESTED PLATFORMS
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This release is known to build and pass all tests (with some noted
exceptions) on the following platforms:

    ARCHNAME            OSVER	CC		REMARKS
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    alpha-dec_osf	4.0	cc
    dos-djgpp		DOS	gcc 2.8.1	posix.t#4, fs.t#18 may fail
    MSWin32-x86		NT4.0	Visual C 5.0sp2 with perlCRT
    MSWin32-x86-thread	NT4.0	Visual C 5.0sp2 with perlCRT
    MSWin32-x86-object	NT4.0	Visual C 5.0sp2 with perlCRT
    MSWin32-x86		NT4.0	Borland C 5.02
    MSWin32-x86-thread	NT4.0	Borland C 5.02
    MSWin32-x86-object	NT4.0	Borland C 5.02
    MSWin32-x86		NT4.0   egcs 1.0.2
    MSWin32-x86-thread	NT4.0   egcs 1.0.2
    IP22-irix		5	gcc 2.7.2.3
    IP28-irix		6.2	cc -n32
    i386-bsdos		3.1	shlicc2 2.7.2.1
    i386-freebsd	2.2.7	gcc 2.7.2.1
    i386-freebsd	3.0-cur	gcc 2.7.2.1
    i586-linux		2.0.34	gcc 2.7.2.3.f.1
    i686-linux		2.0.32	gcc 2.8.1
    i686-linux		2.0.33	gcc 2.7.2.3
    i686-linux		2.0.34	gcc 2.7.2.1	shared libperl
    i86pc-solaris	2.6	gcc 2.7.2.3.f.1
    i86pc-solaris-threa	2.6	gcc 2.7.2.3.f.1
    OPENSTEP-Mach	4_1	cc
    PA-RISC1.1		09.05	gcc 2.8.1
    PA-RISC1.1		10.20	cc
    PA-RISC1.1		10.20	gcc 2.8.1
    ppc-linux		2.1.24  egcs 1.0.3
    ppc-linux-thread	2.1.24  egcs 1.0.3
    sun4-solaris	2.3	cc
    sun4-solaris	2.6	gcc 2.8.1
    sun4-solaris-thread	2.6	gcc 2.8.1
    sun4-solaris	2.5.1	gcc 2.8.1
    sun4-solaris-thread	2.5.1	gcc 2.7.2.1
    sun4-sunos		4.1.3	gcc 2.8.1
    sun4-sunos		4.1.4	egcs 1.0.3
    x86-qnx		424	cc